Warp 28 – 1st piece completed

I started weaving this piece on 17th of April and completed the weaving on 22nd April (2-3 hours per day and 0 hours on 21st). This morning, 23rd April, I put the finishing touches to the piece.

I’m very pleased with it. It has a lovely feel and a lovely drape. There are a few small skips in about 3 rows, but these aren’t very noticeable and add to the piece – they make it look more handmade!!

This piece is woven with 5/2 mercerised cotton as the weft at ~15ppi (I was aiming for 16ppi as the warp is 16epi). The warp is black 8/2 mercerised cotton and white 5/2 mercerised cotton.
The weft was woven as follows:
2 picks of plainweave (the whole piece is plainweave) and hemstitch in radiant orchid (purplish)
*4 picks radiant orchid
~6.5cm alternating Black (D) & White (L)
4 picks radiant orchid (~1cm)
~6.5cm DDLL
4 picks radiant orchid
~6.5cm DDL
4 picks radiant orchid
~6.5cm DDDDLLLL
4 picks radiant orchid
~6.5cm DDDL
4 picks radiant orchid
~6.5cm DDLLL
4 picks radiant orchid
~6.5cm DLDDL
Repeat from * until 3 repetitions completed (measures about 159cm)
~6.5cm DL
~6.5cm DDL
~6.5cm DDL
~6.5cm DLDDL
4 picks radiant orchid
2 picks and hemstitch in radiant orchid

The piece was then cut from the loom and measured – it is 52x179cm.
Next was a machine wash (normal cycle) in warm water, trimming fringes and loose ends, a press with a hot iron and hanging to dry.
This morning, I sewed a label on and measured it again – it is 49x170cm.

I am delivering the piece to the commissioner this afternoon. I hope that she likes it!